Tuesday, January 27, 2009

"I'm Gay for Gilbert Arenas"

No, I'm not literally gay for Gilbert Arenas. I just couldn't think of a more creative title for this blog, and rather than explain my logic I will just link you to a "youtube" video that inspired it further down this post. I'll initially warn you: there isn't much of a point to this blog. I guess I've just been curious to see if he returns any time soon, and what that result will be.

Where is good ole' Gilbert Arenas these days? It's a case of the "NBA Live curse"; whoever has the honor of being on the cover of the annual EA video games is usually cursed by injuries. It seems like it's been ages since he last played on the hardwood as an elite player. Remember last years failed attempt at a comeback? That Cleveland series was pretty ugly, and Gil had to shut it down after roughly 10 games. He was no more effective than Mike James is this year....alright, maybe a little more efficient. But you get my point; I am the overly skeptical guy that wonders if anyone will truly be "gay for Gilbert Arenas" ever again.




"Listen, I got your jersey, I got your shoes, and now I want your heart." Well said Chris.....that's not creepy in the least bit. It is damn funny though, I give you that.

Whoever the guy in this clip is(they call him Chris), he's still gay for Gilbert and he's got a "youtube" video racking up countless views and I swear I saw him on an ESPN commercial the other day; you know the ones with Stewart Scott and company on the ESPN bus/trailer. At least he's getting some use out of Arenas, even if it's a mockery.

The real joke is on Washington Wizards owners and the 6 year/$111 million contract they signed Arenas to over the summer. While Gilbert is only 27 and still has the chance to come back full strength(which I doubt), I really question what management was thinking over the summer. They are sticking with this same core of players that haven't even won a playoff series with this core. Yes, I know you fans will instantly rebuttal that they have never been healthy in the playoffs; my rebuttal to that is simple: shouldn't that be an even bigger sign to be cautious when handing out near-max contracts?

From 2005 to 2007 Arenas proved he was a legit "superstar", though I've never been his biggest fan because of the whole shooting-guard in a point-guards body aspect of his game. But this guy was becoming one of the best in the league. Take a look at his statistics from 2006-07 season:
  • 28.4ppg 6apg 4.5rpg 1.9spg 42%FG
Those are really Kobe like numbers(aside from the percentages). He can obviously score, and those are definitely more like shooting guard numbers, but they will do for a point-guard. Will he ever be able to play at a similar level to this? I am talking in circles here; trying to analyze and guess whether or not Gilbert will ever be the player he once was is impossible. Judging from last years short stint back I would have to guess the answer is an emphatic "no". But he obviously rushed it. Maybe this year he is getting close to becoming the explosive player he once was. With the Wizards owning the worst record in the league right now there's obviously no rush for him to come back.

Maybe it was just the "youtube"that made me write about Arenas, because I realize I have little substance with this post(other than the amazing video). I guess I'll just sum up my circles of thinking: Gilbert might be the greatest example of the instant decline a player in this ever-competitive league can have, especially when surgery is involved. One day you're a superstar on the rise; the next day you are on the sideline blogging about the league. Then again, maybe I am far too similar to other critics that quickly hop on the "Darius Miles bandwagon" claiming he'll never be the player he once was.

Overall, Gilbert is a feel-good story too. One of those guys drafted in the 2nd round that overcame adversity and showed all the critics they were wrong. In high school he was told he would never make it. With a solid career at Arizona his NBA stock still wasn't very high as he fell in between the mold of an NBA point-guard and shooting-guard. He's been able to overcome each and every obstacle in his basketball career to this point, so who's to say he won't overcome the challenges faced from his surgically repaired me? Hopefully he shows critics like myself I'm wrong for writing this article and doubting him again. It would be good not only for himself, but great for his city and sport.

Poll Question(to the right side): Will Gilbert Arenas ever be the same kind of player he was in 05/06/07?

1 comment:

SamiA said...

True on Gilbert being called a "zero", hence the number choice. He's done a great job of turning himself in a more than solid player.

However, in the Wizards case, I think Arenas isn't the man to guide the offense. I'd like to see them with a pure point to set up guys like Butler, Young, Jamison, McGee, etc.