Thursday, January 8, 2009

"Boston Hits A Wall"


Since the Lakers beat the Celtics on Christmas Day I have noticed Boston has looked like a completely different team. Boston started off the season as close to perfection that a team can, and all the gossip started that "they could break the 72 wins in a season record". It's funny how quickly things can change in the NBA. Just two short weeks ago on the eve of Christmas the Celtics sat with a record of 23-2.....easily best in the league and talks of the best regular season team ever being thrown around without any thought. Today, Boston sits with a 29-8 record, good for second in the East.

I admit, I am a bit giddy as I write this(Laker colors are showing). But seriously, when's the last time the Celtics lost two games in a row, let alone losing six of their last eight. They went from hunting for an NBA record with a 19 game winning-streak, to losing several games in a two week span. I know it's hitting that half-way point of the season, the time when players get bored and struggle to find that energy game in, game out. But I've watched all their games, and while that "wall" might be contributing to it, there is definitely other things going wrong.

It would be understandable if the Celtics were losing to teams like the Lakers, Cavs, and other top-tier teams, but this is just not the case. While some of their losses are to some of the better teams....more of them are to the bubble teams.....but it doesn't get much worse than Golden State. Their six losses in the last 2 weeks:

  • Houston(85-89)
  • @Charlotte(106-114)
  • @New York(88-100)
  • @Portland(86-91)
  • @Golden State(89-99)
  • @LA Lakers(83-92)

It seems Boston has become like any other team on the road. Losing a game in LA is understandable, but losing to the Warriors, Knicks, and Bobcats, all below .500 teams, just proves there is a problem. Making matters worse, while Boston has had it's entire team at full health, Golden State was missing Maggette and Crawford, Portland was missing it's best player Brandon Roy, and the Rockets were missing both Shane Battier and Tracy McGrady. Boston is getting beat by inferior teams.

I am still analyzing the play of Boston, as well as their opponents, but there is definitely some type of a phenomenon happening. Here are a few possibilites:
  • Teams are no longer intimidated by the big-3 and image of the Celtics
  • Opponents have figured out Boston's defensive schemes and know where to attack
  • Opponents have figured out Boston's offensive schemes, and know how to defend them as a team and individually as well
  • Boston's lack of depth has finally surfaced
  • To be determined

I happen to think it's a combination of these key ingredients. I think all the trash talking the Celtics do as a whole has motivated all teams, good and bad, to give 110% against the Celtics and try to show them up. I also think the Celtics had this ora about them last season, and the start of this one, where teams were intimidated, nervous, and cautious when they played against them...while this is no longer the case. Teams probably saw how the Lakers controlled their game against Boston, and they have applied certain methods against them, both offensively and defensively. I have noticed teams play Rondo and Allen similar to that of the Lakers, and it seems to be working.

Anyway, I'll leave it at that. I might have to try and break things down a little more when I have time. For now, I think watching the Celtics struggle on the road and lose to lottery bound teams it's good enough for me.

2 comments:

SamiA said...

I agree with most of that to a certain extent. Schemes often have to be tweaked with the constant adjustments in the NBA, and sports in general.

I've seen some Boston lately, caught the game against the Knicks. In my opinion, they look fatigued.

I think they'll come out of it. And when they do, their going to lock down again. Mark my words.

Joshua E. Farcone said...

You're right, they do look fatigued. But I still think it's more than that.....they aren't the dominant team they were last year. I would consider them on the same level as the Lakers, Cavs, and maybe even the Magic/Spurs.

I hope they come out of it. Even as a Laker fan I would rather see a rematch of last years finals than anything else....that would be golden for the fans and the NBA.