Monday, March 9, 2009

"Spare Time With Boston/Lakers"


Now this is a relatively random post, but I realized it's been awhile since I blogged anything basketball. I spend quite a bit of my free time discussing hoops in a few different forums, and many times "sigs" are a great way to show off your true colors. A "sig", or signature, is what shows up below all of your posts. Many times it can be a favorite quote of yours, many times it can be a stupid comment like "peace"; but in these obsessed forums we all end up with a "sig picture". This is a photo(most likely photoshopped) that shows your true colors. To the left is my current signature; I was actually for Obama, but it doesn't mean I can't mock how liberal he is perceived.....and can be.

Now your "true colors" can be a wide array of things. It can be a photo of let's say....someone you despise and make a mockery of. Many times we will place bets on certain games and if you lose you have to wear a "sig picture" that the winner gets to make for you. An example: for the previous Lakers and Celtics match-up we made a "sig bet"; the smart ones who chose the Lakers(like myself) won the bet, obviously, so all those that chose the Celtics had to "wear" any signature picture we made for them.

So I used my Adobe Photoshop skills(yes they are amateurish) to make a few signature pictures for a few guys. There is a poster who goes by the screen name of "Mogrady"; obviously he is a bog fan of Tracy McGrady, and for some reason bet on the Celtics winning that match-up. To his chagrin I was able to concoct a very interesting, and somewhat weird, signature picture for this individual poster(yes I have excess free time):



While it has little to do with the fact that Boston was defeated by the unstoppable Lakers, I felt I should go the personal route and attack his favorite player. Is it stupid? Of course, but that's the entire point: every time this respectable fan of basketball makes any post this image will appear under it. So he could make a great, legit, objective post about McGrady's efficiency on the basketball court that makes complete sense, but at the bottom of the post we see a picture that shows McGrady as the pothead he really is, always stuck behind the shadows of the best shooting-guard of this era, Kobe Bryant.

Now to my personal favorite. It's a more general picture; one that suggest the Lakers are simply superior to the Celtics, a picture that fits the bet. I actually became so fond of it that I started sporting it as my own signature picture for awhile. But more importantly, the hardcore Boston fans(I call them homers) that think the Big 3 are an unstoppable force and the Celtics are better then every other team, these are the guys that had to "wear" the signature. I consider this my best work of art to date:



Obviously I am trying to point out that the Lakers "Big3" is a far better trio than the Celtics self-labeled "Big3". Even more ironic is the fact that one of the posters who bet on the Celtics goes by the screen name of "Big3", so to his chagrin it definitely made him look stupid. Now you might be thinking that Bynum should be the third of the trio; I would agree, but he was hurt(still is) and Odom was definitely the third musketeer that game, and he has been ever since.

Yes it is quite stupid, but then again, that's the entire point!

I am currently working on a few ideas and have compiled a few drafts; one is Chris "Birdman" Andersen literally flying with wings that shows how insanely good he really is; another of Tyson Chandler as Oscar the Grouch in his little trashcan(yes I believe Chandler is a bum). Anyway, if you have any suggestions for what would be a humorous, yet effective signature picture please feel free to comment and let me know.

No comments: