Saturday, September 12, 2009

"Iverson: Really There To Win?"


"He indicated to us that he just wants to come in and help a team out, to get better, to win, and he'll shine during that process. I think Allen Iverson is going to be very fine with whatever role he would end up fulfilling here in Memphis. … He knows where we're coming from, we know where he's coming from and I think if he comes here it's going to be a very productive marriage."(ESPN). I've also read many other quotes from Iverson, many simimlar to this: "You think I came to Memphis to help them sell tickets? I came here to Memphis to win." He eitehr really believes they will win any make the playoffs, or he is just doing the right thing by saying that. "Coming off the bench is not a problem; I'd rather start, but it's no problem. I signed with this team becaue I've done it all. I'm a HOF'er, Scoring Leader Champ, etc, but still haven't gotten that Championship ring. I believe this team can win, and I think I could get that ring here in a couple years".

Now those aren't exact quotes(other than the first from ESPN), so there are no sources for the others. But trust me, I am just relaying what he has said in a quicker manner. He goes on to say many pretty unbelieveable things, so I just kept it simple. So does the NBA really lie this much, or are the Grizzlies GM's and Iverson living in a dreamworld where Iverson is 25, Zach Randolph is the best team playing PF, Gasol is actulla his older brother, Mike Conley is who we thought he would of been, and well, OJ Mayo is OJ Mayo, except now he has A.I. next to him. Is that really what they think?

Alright. I posted some quotes, responded to them, now let me break this down with my so very unique, intellectual, engaging, and witty analysis(yea......just believe that's true). So I thnk the first subject is Allen Iverson. Who is he now(personality/humbled) and what kind of athlete(skills) does he bring to this young Memphis team at his elderly age of 34/35; elderly for the NBA of course.

The Grizzlies won around 20 games last year(more or less), and I think it's 100% apparent that Iverson had NO other offers from ANY other teams; you know, those REAL, TANGIBLE offers that you can sign. The Griz were the only team, and of course, he happens to sell a ton of Jersey's and will hopefully raise their attendance from the worse in the NBA last year to somewhere other than last this season.

According to Iverson and GM/Owner Heisley/Wallace, I guess adding Zacn Randolph, Allen Iverson, and rookie Hasheem Thabeet(with other slight additions and subtractions), means you go from a 20 win team to a 50 win team. Honestly, I'm not sold, lmao. I am sold on Iverson's jersey though, and I know tons of Memphis kids are already rocking that #3 A.I. jersey as it's already been released.

At the end of the season, let's compare their record to last year(differential) to their increase in attendnance and sold merchandise/jersseys(differential). I think we all know that this was just one of those moves for a small market team to get a HOF guard, who was once AMAZING, and signed him for $3.1 million. Can't really complain.

No comments: