Saturday, December 6, 2008

"The Lakers Trilogy"


"Just when I thought I was out... they pull me back in." Yes, it's the infamous quote by Michael Corleone in the last film of the Godfather Trilogy, but it seems to be coming up lately in the media. Kobe Bryant has been quoted saying this recently, and it seems the word "they" refers to the Lakers second unit. Phil Jackson needs to start playing the role of Godfather a little more, as he should start putting out "hits" on a few players that are under-performing. Otherwise, we will continue to see this second unit blow big leads...resulting in Kobe being "pulled back in".

I've lost track counting the amount of games in which the Lakers have let big leads diminish in the fourth quarter, essentially allowing for their opponents to get back in the game. It's definitely become an obvious trend, and one that can be a silent killer. Look at their recent game against Indiana. Up by 17 points in the fourth, Indiana was able to rally back against the Lakers second unit(or lack-there-of unit), and ended up winning the game by one point on a buzzer beating tip. Sure, that was only the Lakers second loss, but if you watched the game you would know that the Lakers should have won, and won it comfortably.

Critics are the first to praise the "depth" of the Lakers, and I am not saying I disagree. They are one of the deepest teams in the league. I'll give them that. The Lakers bench is a big part of their success, but I think all the praise has gotten to them. Remember, this unit consists of Jordan Farmar, Sasha Vujacic, Trevor Ariza, Lamar Odom, and often Andrew Bynum anchors them. They are just kids out there....most of them could still be in college. I've even read an article on ESPN, by John Hollinger of all people, commenting on the unit in such an oblivious way: "a second unit so capable that it could probably make the Eastern Conference playoffs on its own". Are you serious?

Now I love my purple and yellow, and I'll pretty much agree we have a great bench, maybe the deepest in the league. But such overzealous statements get on my nerves. This second unit can't even hold a 20 point lead against the Wizards(last place in the East), and let's also realize their defense is a big part of the problem. This is the second unit that has blown countless leads in the fourth quarter and let teams get back into games. The same unit that causes the methodical Phil Jackson to call an angry time-out and put Kobe back in to save the team. I'm not saying he shouldn't do this, because he should......but maybe he might think about changing the rotation up a bit so this same late game situation disappears.

No, I'm not suggesting he benches all these young, athletic players. I will, however, suggest that he take a good look at individual players, rather than them as an entire "unit". It seems that Phil has tried to give them to much freedom, and let the second unit play it's own unique style. I think we'll start seeing a slightly tighter rotation, especially on the road. Remember when he used to mesh the starters with the bench players, depending on who was hot?

Sure, this team has been extremely successful this year, going an impressive 16-2 after their win over the Wizards tonight. Did I mention they lead by 16 in the fourth quarter? Butler missed a game winning three-pointer at the buzzer.....how could this possibly be close enough to happen? Kobe pulled a Corleone, again, thinking he was done for the night up by 16 points with six minutes left in the fourth quarter, only to be pulled back in by the awful performance of the second unit(offense and defense). He was able to hit some clutch shots, but to ask him to come in like this every game and be the hero is a bit excessive, and unnecessary. At least he can thank them for getting more minutes and increasing his stats.

I'm not sold yet, even as a Laker fan. I'm sick of reading all these articles on how the Lakers might hit 70 wins, or that their second unit could be a solid team in the East. Let me see the Lakers dominate games consistently....I'll be sold then. The team I watched the first 10 or so games of this season looked consistently dominant in contrast to the team as of late. Their defense is a big, no, huge part of this problem....but I'll get into that another time. For now, I guess we can just hope the Lakers manage to sail through games against the medicore teams of the league, and hopefully hold them off for a lazy win.

Maybe I am just skeptical of this Lakers team. You have to realize that I was at Staples Center for Game 4 of the NBA Finals last year. I was a witness to the best comeback(or worst give-away) in finals history. After witnessing that series, and especially that game in person, I believe this team still needs to get to another level and toughen up to win a championship. You don't see Cleveland or Boston in very many close games do you? Maybe they were right. Maybe the Lakers are still a bit "soft".

2 comments:

SamiA said...

Yeah I hear you, people are crowning the Lakers already. I'm not trying to call them a bad team by any stretch though.

Nice godfather reference, I own any gangster movie there is to own.

Your a clockwork orange guy? Malcolm McDowell is the shit

WBCB said...

Hey i'll put you on my blogroll, you can do the same if you want.